About Me

Sunday, February 3, 2019

First Day

So, let's recap the first 24 hours in Aviano now shall we? Here we go.....

Friday was a busy day and I got a lot done. Starting at 0700 with a pick up from my hotel we got to base to get my CAC ID card completed and done with so I can actually get on base on my own. Then we went over to the hanger that my squadron operates out of to meet the unit members both civilian and active duty. I got to tour the facilities and offices we own as well as see my office space, the gym we use for our PJ's and the sports med area we use for treatment with our guys. I have to say this left me very impressed indeed. The gym although a bit smaller, rivals many well-done DIII college weight rooms I have seen. My team is made of a flight doc (Doc Mitchell) who's a LtCol. A sports med doc (Doc Lax) who is also a LtCol. Then we have an active duty IMT, Rob the ATC, me the strength coach, Anthony the PT and Doc Johnson, the sports psychologist. We also have a couple of support members from medical and rigging teams for treatment and gear needs.

After this, it was off to the nearby city of Pordenone to go get my codice fiscale done with so that I can pretty much get anything else I need from here out from renting a car, paying rent for a house, getting a new cell, paying bills etc. A very important document to have. Then we came back to get me a rental car near base which I did. Its a super small car I am pretty sure I could lift up if I really tried to honestly. But hey, its super good on gas, gets me around just fine and was very affordable so no complaints.



After the car rental was done it was back to base to go get a new SIM card for my phone and set up my post office box. I got both of those done as well. I also made a stop at the BX and Commissary to get some essentials to hold me over for the weekend at least until I do a more formal shopping trip to get other stuff.



I was surprised jetlag did not hit me harder and faster than it did really. I did not get off clean though. My first workout at the gym (2 on base right next to one another) was a struggle. What should have been pretty mild felt really hard and exhausting. The lack of sleep and different time zone was hitting me. I played it safe and did not kill myself in the gym but dialed it back a bit. The 2 gyms on base are really nice. Between the two main gyms and the facility our squadron has, there is no doubt I will have some killer training capacity while here in Italy. Bring on the gains I say!


Wyverns is the "mascot" of the 31st Fighter Wing


After my mediocre workout ended I was, as usual, starved! I had passed an AYCE sushi place a few times on my trips over the day and figured sushi was as good as anything else and being just outside of the base gate, why not go hit that up? So I did. This place rocked! Finding a solid AYCE sushi spot in Aviano Italy? Who knew!? For about $27 USD you get a massive menu of items to pick from and I certainly had my spread of options. This place is going to be a weekly trip for me being so close to base entrance/exit and being so darn good. I'm stoked to know a legit sushi place has been found so early in my arrival here! I know its odd to be getting sushi 24 hours after landing in Italy but hey....I loved sushi in the states so why would I not love it here just the same right? Check out this spread of goodness!













Yes, I ate every single bit of this feast.....myself.




After the long day of productive introduction, tours, task crushing, workouts, car rentals, and dinner, it was time to head home and chill out. I made it up to about 1145pm which for me is an early night. On top of that, I did not wake up till 1015am the next morning! I normally rise without an alarm by 730am so that's a sure sign the jetlag was really setting it. That is where I'll pick up next time.

Ciao miei amici! A piu tardi.

1 comment: