About Me

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Local Travels

At now 3 weeks this Thursday since my arrival day in Italy/Aviano, I have made every effort to get out and explore as much as I can. Both near and far, or at least as far as my very tiny rental car can get me in an hour so. Let me offer a quick rundown of 3 really cool combo trips/places I have explored in just the past 2 weeks. I say combo because the towns are so close and small that you can easily hit both within a few hours and still get a good feel of the area. I can promise you that any visitors I get will be sure to see these locations to as they make for easy day trips just 30 minutes or less from where I will be living at permanently.

Polcenigo & San Giovanni- 15 minutes drive from Aviano (Sunday Feb 17)

I hit up the Saturday mercato (market) in the morning and then made a visit to the museum of culinary arts and history. Its small but still does a grand job of showcasing the unique and old ways of culinary traditions, dishes, foods, recipes etc....of food and cooking from the area. Trout, pasta dishes, seasoned meats, cheeses, roasted veggies, and other simple dishes were abundant simply because for a long while that is all they had to work due to food scarcity. Creative talents had to make the foods they had taste good. A few restaurants in the area are known for keeping to long-held traditional recipes. I did not get to try any but several have trout on the menu and that has my attention. Driving through the town center there are churches, shops, pastry shops, cafes and pizzzerias to hit up as well. Going through town you come out a few km later in San Giovanni where I stopped at St. Flouriano Rural Park. I freaking loved it! A 4 mile look trail that has marked trees to keep you on path. The sites, sounds, views and trail is gorgeous. A creek runs along a good section of the path and then turns into the main waterway through Polcinego. I can see where trout would be a readily available and assessable in season for the locals here. Part of the trail leading to the farm/trail/restaurant is up the hill for about .5 miles and its all straight up so get ready for glute burn city! The views you get of Polcinego on the way up make it SO worth it! At the top stop at one of the 2 restaurants for wine and appetizer or take a look around at the animals raised right there on site.


view from hill trail looking due east of san giovanni




river along walking path in st floriano rural park

view of pelcinego from part way up hill trail due north



Poffabro & Frisanco- 25 minutes drive north of Aviano (just minutes passed Maniago) Monday Feb 18)

Seeing how close these twin towns or more correctly called "Borgos" were from Maniago, I had to come back asap to see them with my own eyes. So glad I did! These small little villages have about 300-400 people as a population. From one village you can see over to the other clearly. Both are quite as can be, peaceful, mellow and drip of traditional vibes of old Italian culture. 2 small cafes and 1 small trattoria is all both towns had for hospitality offerings. Poffabro actually had a small grocery store that was smaller than most any American gas station. Oh and a post office no bigger than a small 7-11. The homes are all wood and rock. The streets are rock and brick, the city centers (centro) is right situated next to the city municipality building, the clock/bell tower and church (as all towns seem to do here....I mean all of them!) Poffabro had an amazing smell of burning hickory somewhere and it made it all the more alluring to stay longer and soak in the local village vibe. The two Borgos are 2 of the most highly rated (Frisanco/Poffabro) places to visit for "most beautiful" sites to see in all of Italy. I can see why now.




view into paffarbo from frisanco
church in paffabro city center

panoramic shot of mountains from frisanco


view out of town from city center in paffabro

town walk ways in paffabro

stairs all over the city to go up and down from home to home


Maniago & Montereale 20 minutes drive north of Aviano (Saturday Feb 16)

I made a half day trip up to see both of these neighboring towns mainly because Manigo is known worldwide for its famous cutlery making history and production to this day. They make some of the best quality knives and cut ware anywhere. Maniago crafted blades, swords, armor, and knives have been used in major motion pictures such as Troy, Gladiator, 47 Ronin, Blade, and The Last Samurai. In June 2018, several Maniago based manufactures of several kinds of blades were awarded top spots at the annual world Blade Show in Atlanta, GA. The town itself has a big open piazza in the center of town just blocks from the Cutlery Museum which I also toured. Seeing the beginnings of what is now a world beacon of the master art of cutlery manufacturing, priceless! The piazza has many shops, cafe's, pastry shops and restaurants for locals and tourist to enjoy as well. Le Strane Delizie has outstanding pastries! Montereale was simply beautiful. A quiet, quaint and charming feel to the town with more houses than apartments or condos as I am used to seeing. If it were not quite so far from work, I'd have really considered living here simply because of how gorgeous the town is, the streets, the houses, the city center and the views. Many good family-owned trattorias in the area to get a real deal Italian meal fix for sure.

made 100% of blade parts

Sabre used in movie 'Blade'

bad-ass knife!




Le Strane Delizie Pastry Shop, Maniago


Costa- About to be home!

This one I add for a quick fore-shadow of what is to be my own new permanent "casa" or home in Italy. Its a short 2km from the Aviano city center and 7km from the gate entrance to the AFB. I am still going to be just 20 minutes from Sacile or Pordenone, the largest major cities in the area. My place will be off the nearest "major" road set back in the small little village of Costa, a locality inside Aviano, the bigger main city. My place is literally at the base of the Dolomite mountain range and 2km away from the main road that takes people up to Piancovallo, the major ski resort/village/resort/school and slopes. Bikers love the road ride up and down, hikers love it, runners love it, motorcyclist love it.....everyone loves the way leading to Piancovallo. I learned very quickly, this is THE place to do fun outdoors stuff year round. Time to bust out my skis again I guess! Inside pictures to come March 1st which is move in day! The inside is amazing I'll tell you that much.

whole 2nd floor is mine
the surrounding area is so peacefull

2 bed, 2 bath, living room and garage and private, gated driveway




As you already know in previous posts, I have found a killer good eats place just up the road 5 minutes drive, called Due Lune. Its a family owned long-standing Italian restaurant that serves lunch and dinner. Its rated the #1 most popular restaurant in Aviano on TripAdvisor out of 27 listed venues in town. I am going to be a regular there for sure. Plus I get to practice my Italian ever time I go in and speak with the awesome staff there too.



Ciao miei amici. A piu tardi.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds Wonderful and Beautiful. So neat you have been able see the surrounding area.
    Love the pictures and descriptions of what your seeing.

    ReplyDelete